Tuesday, August 4, 2009


Tues July 28 Bruce Mines ON

A couple drops of rain fell last night but woke up to everything dry. Got going with threatening skies but as I finished my trip around the north side of Lake Superior and got to Sault Ste Marie summer arrived. Sunshine, low humidity and only a few dozen mosquitoes in the evening. Stopped at Chippewa River for a few photos - must be more spectacular at high water. There is a plaque there commemorating the completion of the Trans Canada Hwy in 1962. The plaque is\was at the mid point between Victoria and St John's. Now I.m feeling anxious, wondering if I'm behind schedule. The highway is flattening out somewhat but there still seems to be a few unnecessary climbs. The last 10 km into The Sault are a nice downhill ( I've now been to The Hat, The Peg and The Sault, one more to go: The Rock). I avoided the downtown portion and took the highway bypass only stopping at Tim Horton's and then for some groceries. Got my first real flat - likely a pinch flat flying into town. I thought it was low after eating and it was flat by the time I finished groceries. Fixed it at the front of the store and nobody batted an eye. As I turned east I had a pretty good tail wind that I was going to use to get to Thessalon but instead noticed a sign pointing out the municipal campground here at Bruce Mines. Sometimes they can be a pretty good deal. Sometimes not. This one looks pretty good, it's cheap - $10.00 including shower and firewood. The town was a copper mine in 1860 - 1870 and there are lots of old houses and churches (from ~1900 I'm guessing). Active community and busy downtown despite a population of 600.

OD 4338.6 km, 6:33:34, 147.32 km, 22.4 ave 60.7 max

No comments:

Post a Comment