Monday, August 10, 2009


Thursday Aug 6 Quebec, La belle province

(The view of the St Lawrence from my campsite)

Didn't make it to the light show as I got socializing at the hostel and then out drinking with Craig form Nottingham and Clement form Austria. Craig is cycling coast to coast via Prince Rupert the Rockey Mtn Parkway and some US states (Minnisota to Detroit). Clement is just 18 but very knowlegable and will go far in life. He didn't have his ID at the pub, all but outright said he was underage but they said he could drink anyway, that's the kind of guy he is. Got up early to find the Trois Rivieres-ians were getting ready to leave too. We left at about the same time but they headed to Gatineau and the north side fo the river and I headed east to try out the farmland routes. My way was really good, even when riding through some of the best (worst) examples of North American urban sprawl. Somehow, someone at city hall got bike lanes added between the through traffic and the right turning lanes. Worked great as I got to see all the big boxes, and outlet malls repeated between cookie cut houses. Got out on the farmland and that genetic defect of mine (had to race to catch up to a guy that was out for a training ride) had me chatting with a guy who finally has some time off as his consulting/ contracting work has slowed (sounds familiar). He was in Africa for 5 weeks ("sitting in safari trucks") and will be going to Algonquin for a few weeks next. He basically told me to change my route to the old #17, rode me out to it, gave me good instructions and it was well worth it. The road is usually 50 to 200 m from the water, big houses on the water and farmland on the south side of the road. I also realized that I may have been in Ontario but it was very French Catholic. I say my bonjours but people quickly realize that I can't speak French and they (so far) pleasantly speak English for me. Had to dodge 3 rain showers today. The first had the most intense rain with the least protection. The second one I found a picnic/ conservation area with a picnic shelter. The third one wasn't too bad - I was under cover at what might have been a volunteer fire hall. Made it to Hawksbury about 5:00 but couldn't find a grocery store anywhere. Finally found one no where near a main road. Went to the ATM too - must be welfare day or something as there was a line up (4 machines and population ~10,000) Could not find a campsite either so I went over the bridge to Quebec. Both the Ont and Quebec InfoCentres were closed (after 6:00 pm) so I asked an older guy where the closest campground was. Rode along north side of Ottawa River, again $1 million houses on the river side and thinking no one would have a campground here, I came across La Route Vert and a 400+ site campground. It's not even bilingual (except for the guy taking my money) but it is nice, clean, on the water and quiet. What is probably a 120 km day turned into 150+ with scenic route rather than #17 and riding all over Hawksbury looking for supplies and a campground that does not exist. In bed early as it's dark at 8:45 pm.

OD 5269.5 km, 7:06:33, 152.57 km, 21.4 ave, 41.1 max

No comments:

Post a Comment