Tuesday, August 4, 2009


Monday August 3 north of Renfrew ON

(18%, more like 6%, the MoT can't do math either)

Writing this once again in the dark so I don't know if I;ll be able to read it later. Spent last night sitting around the fire with a couple from Sudbury who are tenting it but have been going to this site for the last 4 years. Last night was clear but as I packed up it started getting cloudy. Knowing that I had two relatively easy days (360 km total) to Ottawa I made lots of stops, side trips and excursions into most of the towns along the way. Actually was in Quebec for a few moments, went to Petawawa and Pembroke also Renfrew. Found some of the worst pavement today (neglected and unmaintained) also some of the worst engineered shoulders with rumble strips taking up the entire 18" shoulder. This is so negligent it should be criminal. The Ontario MoT will be hearing from me. Light rain started falling in the afternoon. I thought it wouldn't last but it might. Turned off the highway due to above mentioned pavement and holiday Monday traffic and went on side Hwys to Renfrew where the map showed there is a campground. Rode from east end of town all the way to west end where just off Hwy 17 I found the InfoCentre. The girl sent me north to 17 then WEST for a couple km then 5 km north to a campground. The east bound holiday traffic was bumper to bumper and it's still ~100 km to Ottawa!! This campground was one of the most expensive I've stayed at (except Ont Prov Parks) and while it has lots of things to do it's pretty junky and seems to have some strange characters. Due to the rain I'm hiding out in the tent so I won't see any of them.

OD 5014.6 km, 7:40:21, 159.37 km, 20.7 ave, 43.5 max

No comments:

Post a Comment