Tuesday, August 4, 2009


Thurs July 30 Hagar ON

(My typical dinner: green pepper, tomato, noodles, in this case smoked fish, oil and spices)

Called Mark last night and noticed live music being played at the cottages. Finished up with Mark and went over to see. They had a gazebo for live music a few seats inside (protected form weather and bugs) and a bunch of us sitting outside on picnic tables under a sign that said "where friends gather" or something like that. The band and most of the people I talked to were regulars up for an extended time that played bluegrass music. They were from Kentucky and tried to explain how bluegrass differs form country music to me. (I couldn't tell you). Got on the road this morning after finding the dew had soaked everything, so I started off with wet clothes, socks and shoes. Dark skies often but never really felt like it was going to rain except when I came out of the groc store east of Sudbury. Bit of a surprise this morning when I got on the highway and the sign said North Bay 250 km. Oops that's not two easy days, or a day and a half like I told everyone so I will have to pick up the pace, extend today's ride and maybe start early on Friday. Sudbury seems like a large city (165,000 pop) larger than what I thought it was. I had no desire to see it or a city that large so I managed to bypass it without much difficulty. I think I was riding on parts that bikes were not allowed but it had the best paved shoulders that I had seen since Dryden-Kenora. Got out of Sudbury and thought I should start looking for a place to camp. Map had me worried because it showed nothing until Sturgeon Falls which would have made today over 200 km. Luckily I saw some signs at ~5:oo pm indicating one motel/ campground on the highway and one probably nice place ~5 km off the highway. (5 km doesn't sound like much but it is when your are doing a trip like this) Paid for the motel campsite without even seeing it (all I asked about were showers- yes, picnic table - yes, and water - yes) The four tables were practically on the side of the highway in a huge grass yard (100 m by 200m ) without a single tree. I pitched my tent way at the back under some willows and noticed by the marks in the grass another solo cyclist did the same thing probably last night. The showers and the bathroom are the best I've ever seen in a campground (maid service supplies fresh towels and those hotel soaps and shampoos). Unfortunately I'm alone here tonight and the few stores in the town are closed for the night.

OD 4635.0 km, 7:22:15, 169.25 km, 22.9 ave, 49.0 max

No comments:

Post a Comment