Monday, August 10, 2009


Sun Aug 9 Ville de Quebec aka Quebec City or mostly just Quebec

First up at the hostel, no one at desk until 8:00 and I guess no one working office hours. Last night my roommate came in about 4:00 am and one closer to 5:oo. Now I know it's a hostel etc etc but the one who came in at 5:00 put on his headlamp and started munching on crackers!! I wanted to make as much noise as I could when I got up but then remembered that "You know you are an athlete when your day begins at 5:30 am, not ends" Well I didn't start at 5:30 but on the road before 8:00. Scenic ride along #138 which is the main route of Le Route Verte a bicycle route through Quebec and Chemin de Roy, no not the goalie but a driving interpretive route past all the old churches. Don't know if the guidebook is bilingual. Often I took the routes when it veered from the "highway" (2 lanes, wide shoulders, light traffic) as it went through the old part of town and sometimes only added a couple hundred metres to the ride. Saw many cyclist out today, couples, families, tri-heads, light tourist but no clubs - maybe they ride early in the morning. drafted off some, passed many, even dropped a few that couldn't hold the pace. Veered off the Hwy coming close to Quebec then completely lost the main Hwy. City not in sight, no signs, useless maps, construction detours, no directions other than the hostel street address and I knew it is in the old city. Somehow found the old city (again no Info Centre, no signs directing you to the old city) without a hitch and there were volunteers blocking car access to parts of the old city. I asked where the hostel was and the volunteer said it was one block ahead. It was easier to find than Thunder Bay's. BIG hostel, almost too big but will stay two nights and then have some big days so I don't get too far behind schedule. Wandered the streets tonight and went for Chinese food - do you believe it? Ordered in French: poulet, beauf etc. Rain started falling ~9:oo pm so back to the hostel where they have a pub down stairs.

OD 5625.7 km, 6:48:29, 138.21 km, 20.3 ave, 51.2 max

No comments:

Post a Comment