Tuesday, August 4, 2009


Thurs July 23 Gravel River ON

Got up this morning to find I got my first flat. So what will I subtitle my adventure now? I wanted it to be no flats and no rain. Seems I got a tiny puncture flat that even overnight did not let all the air out. No problem fixing it in the dorm with a kitchen sink across the hall and a chair to sit in. Sleeping was uncomfortable due to the humidity yet it was so foggy and cold out that I had to wear my nylon jacket. My glasses got covered in water droplets that I had to clean them every few seconds. It didn't lift until ~11:00 am when I met a cyclist from Niagara Falls going around the lakes. He has done some big trips so I tried to get as much info from him as I could. Stopped at the Thunder Bay InfoCentre on my way out of town - Not much good at that point but they do have a good Terry Fox statue and rest area (probably a good view when the visibility is greater than 100m). Later stopped at Nipigon Info Centre, had lunch at Gus' Restaurant, picked up some groceries and headed further east as it was barely 4:00pm. Nipigon seems depressed, I think the pulp/paper mill is down but I don't know for sure.) The girl at the InfoCentre said that Gravel River had camping "but you won't find it on any map" The billboards and other signs said it to be a gas stn, motel, LCBO outlet and gift store. I went in at ~7:00 pm and said to the owner that I heard you have camping. He took my $15 and walked me out to the place. The shower is in a wooden shed that he runs an extension cord out to for lights and 2 garden hoses (hot and cold) from the motel. I couldn't find a toilet. He told me that he would shut the water off at closing time because one time a bear ate through the hoses and the water ran all night. (I'll try to get some photos up for this one)

OD 3727.1, 8:08:42, 164.12 km, 20.1 ave, 48.6 max

No comments:

Post a Comment