Tuesday, August 4, 2009


Sat. July 25 Gloria's Motel and Restaurant (outside of White Lake Prov. Park)

Got up and watched some Tour de France and some Weather Network. Weather was supposed to be light rain all day with accumulations of about 5 mm (ie 1-3 mm during day and 1-3 mm evening) Not so. Started out with some fog, mist and occasional light shower. Got to a picnic area- view point where p b & j bagels and talked with a number of people: locals, tourists and those leaving Toronto for somewhere else. Got some great advice, especially from one local who left when a group of 12 on Harley's pulled up. Since Marathon was the only town on today's ride I thought I would take the ride 7 km off the highway to see the place. Before I got there the rain poured down. When I got to the turnoff I was soaked especially from riding down the hills and the area was one giant active muddy construction site. It was only about noon so I kept going and did not see Marathon. Unlike yesterday there was little wind and it was warmer so I was wet but not cold. The rain kept coming harder and harder until I had to get off the road and take shelter under some trees. Questioning why I was doing this trip the rain just kept falling harder. When it at last slowed somewhat I got back on the highway and noticed patches of blue sky in front of me. Soon I could see my shadow! the Tech gold mines and the sun was out drying me and my gear. I stopped at Gloria's Motel and Restaurant while it was sunny. I was thinking maybe I should be camping. Checked in after swapping parenting stories (like city vs here) with the owner - yes, Gloria. Then had dinner in the trucker's restaurant - I couldn't finish my dinner it was so big. Later walked across the highway to the lake and noticed some dark clouds approaching. In the time it took me to write today's entry the clouds came in, the hydro went out, the thunder came, about 10 mm of rain fell, it stopped and the hydro came back on. I am getting tired of riding in the rain for 4 hrs per day and staying at motels!! When will it end.

OD 3902.3 km, 6:19:56, 117.74, 18.5 ave, 54.1 max (could probably add 10 km and 30 minutes due to rain shorting out speedometer)

No comments:

Post a Comment