Sunday, September 6, 2009


Thursday August 13 Grand Falls/ Grand-Sault NB

Finally in the Maritimes and it seems that summer has arrived. Even the locals agree that it finally feels like summer. Today's route basically followed the St John River which is also the border to Maine/ USA. Here at Grand Falls the border changes to a degree of longitude and I have crossed the River. The map shows a freeway that I don't care to use and a somewhat confusing scenic route. They gave me some pamphlets at the Edmunston InfoCentre but not much info so I'm trying to sort through the magazines, maps and such. Apparently the #2 Freeway TCH is only a couple years old which would explain why the roads that I have been on are pretty wide and in relatively good shape. I think I will stay on the scenic route even though the campground owner says bikes are allowed on #2 and it's much faster/ shorter. Today could be summed up as unremarkable. Maybe after 50 days or so on the road that is a good thing ie no dangerous roads, crazy people or bad weather. The NB highways could use a few picnic tables and bathrooms though. Every Quebec town seemed to try to out do each other with their road side stops (rotisseries or something they called them) but not one that I can think of since arriving in NB. Seeing trains again - was there a strike? I do have to get to a phone to do some catching up and plan making, The one at this campground is the home phone and everyone is in the next room watching TV or in the kitchen.

OD 6022.9 km, 6:38:16, 134.46 km, 20.2 ave, 54.2 max

No comments:

Post a Comment