Sunday, September 6, 2009


Monday August 31 St John's NL

Got up to begin the long task of packing up. Normally pretty quick when leaving a motel but with everything drying including maps and my wallet it takes a long time. Rode downtown, finally saw some pavement older than two years, in less than 20 minutes to City Hall where they have the Mile 0 marker. The sign was nearly impossible to find however it is next door to their Mile One arena which makes sense I guess. Nest went to the hostel I booked for the next two nights. It is unsigned and in the middle of a residential cu-de-sac. It is typical of any of the row houses you see. Slanted floors, hundred years of on-going renovations and very colourful. Met the manager and later the owner. Unpacked and rode out to Cape Spears with no gear on my bike. The bike feels funny without 50 lbs trying to slow it down or laugh at me when a traffic light turns green. Nice ride to the Cape - yes fresh pavement for most of it. As I got there for the 100th time my camera batteries died when a women and I exchanged cameras to take pictures of each other. I swear the batteries die every time I hand the camera to some one. She gave me a spare pair of batteries (since I had no gear with me) and a few minutes later I found a gift shop (where isn't there a gift shop?) and bought some batteries but I couldn't find her to return the ones she gave me. Rode back to the hostel b/c I wanted to get a bike box before it became a panic. One store said none, the other got me the only 700 cm box they had but I have a feeling it will be too small. We;ll see. Came back to have dinner and spent some time with the owner and an electrician estimating the costs of some renovations. He was bilingual - English and Newfie who said "Gawd's 'onest truth, I'd rather shoot myself than 'wire this house." The owner is having a hard time getting insurance b/c the wiring is so old. He left and later Carola left and I had the house to myself. I was wondering if I were the only guest here. Rode to Signal Hill and the Battery neighbourhood. Lots of people run/ walk the route. It must be like their Grouse Grind. 400 to 100 years ago it was probably the perfect defense and harbour but today it just seems too small to be a working harbour. Went for a walk and back to the house. I was still the only one there. Just as I was about to got to bed a young guy visiting from Alberta came in. I guess the two of us have this house to ourselves.

OD 7897.4 km, 52.36 km, 65.0 max

No comments:

Post a Comment