Sunday, September 6, 2009


Sat August 29 Dunville, NL

Took quite a while to fall asleep last night in the dorm not due to dorm mates, the sea or anything external just excited I guess. Without a watch or knowing the time change I don't know when i got up but I think it was pretty late. Beautiful sunny day outside with not much wind. Saw Patrick sleeping behind the model ship display and later we spent the rest of the voyage together. Car deck seems pretty full but passenger decks are pretty empty. Got off the boat in my street clothes so I went to the terminal to change. Two other cyclists were boarding- I didn't get a chance to talk to them - and two others arrived. She is from Kamloops and he is from Toronto they are doing a short fly-bike-rentacar-train trip with the bike portion from St. John's to Halifax. I don't think he knows the first thing about camping or cycling. Boat docked after 2:00 pm so it was a short cycling day for me. The geography and weather are remarkably different after travelling 14 hrs due north. Sometimes is looks like Nunavut, often like northern Ontario without the granite outcrops. The roads don't look like N Ont though. I guess when you are a have-not province you get a lot of federal money to put wide straight highways through the forests serving just a few. Love the way clerks etc call me dear, darling and hon in NS and NF. Don't think you could get away with that anywhere else. Funny sprawling campground here. The owner led me to a few walk in sites by the "pond" but most are RV's on what could be described as a gravel parking lots with acres and acres of bush all around and a mile of gravel roads running all over. I had to walk ~500 m (or drive 1 km) to the showers and tap water.

OD 7755.4 km, 1:23:02, 26.94 km, 19.4 ave, 49.0 max

No comments:

Post a Comment