Thursday, July 16, 2009


Wed July 8 Tompkins, Saskatchewan

Some rain last night on and off. Tent fly wet in the morning but everything else dry. The trees/ hills here seem to grab the rain (55 mm on Monday when I had 15 at the motel) but not the wind. In the morning clouds over Cypress Hills but everywhere else seems blue. The 35 km that took me 2 1/2 hours yesterday from the TCH only took 1 hour with that south wind (and a bit of down hill). My average speed was over 29 km/hr. As I turned east the winds turned with me. Not much in the way of geography - physical or manmade on today's ride. Stopped at an ice cream/ pie/ coffee place and then into the Saskatchewan Info Centre. They had a decent map - much better than the BCAA one that I have but their internet access was super slow. They said it was by satellite but I think it was dial up. Just checked the Subject lines on my home email as it took ~ 5 minutes to open one and reply. I've now stopped at a ramshackle campground in the Village of Tompkins. It has about 12 sites but only 4 picnic tables. That should be sufficient as I was the only one here when I arrived - now there is an older couple with a fifth wheel.

OD 1709.0, 6:19:57, 153.12km, 24.1 km/hr ave, 65.5 max

No comments:

Post a Comment