Friday, July 24, 2009


Friday July 17 Winnipeg

As far as hostels go, I was up early. A few of us old folks up at that time having coffee, tea and breakfast. I spoke with a woman who was a WREN and went to all the reunions that Mom went to. She lives in Churchill! Cleaned my bike up and took it for a tune up at a nearby shop which was recommended. The shop was owned and operated by what I could call Fixie Chicks. Most of their bike parts were for Winnipeg one-speeds - heavy, strong and can be used in the winter and on their terrible pavement. Wandered about and found a place on the south side - they basically said it it ain't broke don't fix it. Money saved. Toured around on some scenic bike paths and found one on the banks of the Assiniboine River which obviously just had the spring flood recede leaving the path muddy. My bike looks like I've been up on Eagle Ridge mtn biking. Also road in traffic. I got the bike map, road signage etc seems like any other city but here cyclists and motorists have a real disrespect for each other. Somehow it works though (?) Later my pannier buckle got stuck in my back wheel and it locked up. Luckily I was on a side street with the world's worst pavement so no injuries or embarrassment. Went to the Manitoba Museum, Planetarium and Science Gallery for free. More money saved. I think I'm ready to get back on my bike and head east. Spent the evening socializing in the kitchen, common areas and then had a few pints in the Pub with this young guy who was leaving Toronto for a job in Nanaimo.

~ 15 km of riding in the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment