Friday, July 3, 2009


Monday June 29
Anarchist Summit 1223 m, 31.2 km from camp in Osoyoos, 2:28:34. Average speed 12.6 km/hr - just above tipping over speed. It's now about 2:30 in the afternoon and I'm just getting to my journal. Went into town yesterday for a few supplies, hung out on the beach, read etc. Campground is shoulder to shoulder but people keep to themselves and everything was very quiet. Cool temps last night for Osoyoos, lots of wind too. I got up on the early side and G left just before me at 7:00 am. He thought I was having a late start. Climbed up Anarchist Summit and met the French Cdn couple F&S at the rest area. They had camped there overnight. They are discouraged with the climbs and have decided to skip Banff and get to the praires asap. They took photos of my map to help them along the way. Stopped at Rock Creek for coffee. Not much there except 3 coffee places. The one I chose was the most organic etc. They even roasted the beans on the patio with propane roasters. Had some fresh fruit and yogurt with it. Greenwood is bigger than I remember. If it wasn't at `85 km I ould have liked to stay there. One of the few places so far that has kept the old buildings and olso has lots of other activities and facilities. Now resting at Phoenix Mtn Summit (easy climb). Will head down for Grand Forks now. I've been to GF a few times including after IM Couer d'Alene. Ate at the usual GF Hotel and I couldn't finish my combo plater. Took it back to my site at the Municipal Campground 3 blocks from the hotel and pratically across the street from City Hall. When I arrived it was me and 3 RVs. None of us with 50 m of another. I was worried I would get my stuff stolen but back at camp after dinner and we got more including 3 tenters. Don't know if it was the big dinner or the pint of beer on maybe the ride but I'm feeling pretty tired at 7:20 pm. Noticed a BMX park right nest the campground. Went over a and a mom was there with her two kids who were racing tomorrow. I tried her Cdn Tire bike and what a blast, sandals, no helmet and now I'm wide awake. Later chatted with this old guy for a while. He is what Brian B will be in 20 years, ski all winter, mtn bike all summer hang out in Nelson in between seasons.

OD 540.9, estimate 128.1 km, 7 hours, 18.2 km/hr ave (oops, zero'd computer)

No comments:

Post a Comment