Friday, July 24, 2009


Thursday July 16 Winnipeg

It didn't rain last night but the wind barely slowed. Wind was in my favour most of the day but at times it was at my side blowing me all over the road. Knowing it would be an easy 140 km, I didn't get going until almost 9:30. This trip is no where near over but I think I've found the worst roads - highways at least. Even Hwy 1 is mostly gravel shoulders including within 20 km of the city centre. Hwy 1 becomes Portage Ave, 4 lanes at times, right lane signed as a bike route but pavement is terrible and drivers act like their from Surrey. I got off Portage(me, the guy who likes to play in traffic!) and found a parallel route (Worseley Av) and I guess the cyclists are as aggressive as the drivers there were numerous road signs that say "Cyclist Reminder: Vehicle Traffic has the right to use the street". Found the hostel without too much trouble despite this town not having a welcome/ Info Centre and me not having a map. The hostel is huge, and old 3 storey hotel with a court yard, a pub, a restaurant under reno's and lots of common areas. My room has 6 beds but only 4 with mattresses and I think I'm going to have it to myself (images of Fernie BC and late night roommates in my head). Later: Got a roommate. A fellow from Quebec that flew out to Vancouver and hitch hiking back. Wandered about downtown but I think there is an indoor/ underground part of "The Peg" that I'm not aware of. Outside it's just homeless, panhandlers and the addicted. I will have to find my way into the world of Skywalks and undergrounds.

OD 2806.3 km, 5:52:15, 144.78 km, 24.6 km.hr ave, 40.0 max

No comments:

Post a Comment