Friday, July 3, 2009


Day 4 - I think I'll stop using that designation. Sat June 27. Slept ok last night , some teenager noise but a few beers and exhaustion made me sleep deep. Beth showed up last night as planned with curry and rice. Sat around the campfire laughing and drinking herbal tea. This morning Kevin drove back to town to work and Beth rode up the hill to the Hope Slide with me. It was about 20 km ant 10 km/hr. She's quick with the wit - when we caught up to two local women on their bikes for a ride Beth said she was crossing Canada and I was carrying her gear. She tried to set them up with me. I finally had to force Beth to turn around or her day would have been over 180 km with the first 20 uphill. Catching up on my journal at Rodo Flats. Climbing didn't end until allison Pass at 1342 m, 4 hours and ave speed on 15.2 km/hr!! I think the pass was hiding the wind. Now down at Manning Park Lodge, splurging at the restaurant. Overall today's ride is not what I want to do too often - It turned into a long day 7:45am to 5:00+ pm with little sightseeing - just trying to climb and climb and get to Princeton asop. Due to the hills my overall ave speed was 18.9 km/hr. I'm camping at the River's Edge which was recommended. RVs in a row away from the water, house-office-washrooms in the middle row and tenters on the river's edge. There is a sign behind my tent which says Keep off Dyke but I doubt it would hold back anything. Before this trip I imagined myself going to the grocery store for fresh tortellini etc and cooking at my camp site - tonight I went to a sub shop and a juice outlet. Put some music on the MP3 player, then CBC - the only other choice was country, seems I'm missing music after only one day. The campground owner came around. He had been out at a golf dinner and was just making his rounds to meet everyone new. He even offered me a chair to rest - the picnic table was fine I told him. He asked if the water was ok for drinking from my water bottles. I got the impression he would have given me one of his cedar lawn chairs from his deck and bottled water if I had asked for it.

OD 281.6, 7:34:16, 143.21 km, 18.9 km/hr ave, max 62.9

No comments:

Post a Comment